Video: Empowering Urban Planners with City Works Trainings in Egypt
A new series of workshops is increasing awareness of international agendas amongst local government employees in Egypt, with the aim of strengthening their work in the field of urban development and management. Watch the video to learn more.
Over the years, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit Egypt Office (GIZ), together with the TU Berlin University Campus El Gouna and the Sawiris Foundation for Development (SFFD) have been working closely with local governments and NGOs across Egypt. Upon close consultations with the Informal Settlement Development Fund (ISDF), several needs have been identified in order to support the capacity building of local government employees in the field of urban development. The goal is to strengthen their role in developing and managing urban interventions, especially in relation to international agendas, such as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
City Works Workshops
As part of this process, two “City Works” workshops were organised with a focus on localising the SDGs at the municipal level in Egypt. Over 50 people representing eight cities participated. The main objective was to provide insights and support regarding urban challenges while also taking into consideration the obstacles that local governance faces when implementing the SDGs and the New Urban Agenda (NUA) at local level.
The workshops resulted in a set of recommendations for:
• Improving the conditions for local (city) governance to have a better understanding of international agendas
• Strengthening the links and dialogue between various governance levels
• Encouraging more active participation and cooperation between governmental and non-governmental entities (civil society and academia)
• Capacity building as well as developing the skills of local employees to achieve good governance processes
Caught on Camera
Watch our short video about the City Works trainings and hear directly from a few participants.
- Video: Empowering Urban Planners with City Works Trainings in Egypt - 28. November 2019